Little Creations Parent’s Day Out Handbook
2016-2017 School Year
- Mission Statement
- Class Structure
- Program Hours and Important Dates
- How to Dress Your Child
- Snacks and Lunch
- Health Records
- Emergency Plan
- Rest Time
- Daily Schedule
- Monthly Fees
- What to Bring Each Day
Little Creation's mission is to minister to preschoolers and their families, to express love of self and family and to teach how Jesus can be a lifelong friend.Our purpose is to provide quality care for preschool-aged children and to encourage their spiritual, social, emotional and physical growth through appropriately planned developmental activities. All classes will use the WEE Learn curriculum distributed by Lifeway Church Resources. This curriculum is theme-based and is taught through learning centers and group activities. These activities will focus on shapes, colors, numbers, letters, and phonics. In addition, our four and five year old classes will use the A Beka Book reading program.
All classes are from 9:00 A.M. to 2:30 P.M.
- Infant Program (6 months – 14 months) Tuesday and/or Thursday
- Toddlers (15 months – 24 months) Tuesday and/or Thursday
- Two’s (must be 2 by August 15) – Tuesday and Thursday
- Three’s (must be 3 by August 15) - Tuesday and Thursday
- Four’s (must be 4 by August 15) – Tuesday and Thursday
- Five’s (children who are five years old, but did not start kindergarten) –Tuesday and Thursday
- The Parent’s Day Out program school year is from September – May.
- The hours of operation are 9:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. on Tuesday and Thursday.
- The doors will be unlocked at 9:00 a.m. each morning for arrival and unlocked at 2:00 p.m. each afternoon for pickup. Your child should arrive between 9:00 a.m. and 9:30 a.m. and be picked up between 2:00 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. If your child is picked up after 2:30 p.m., a late fee of $5 will be charged. It is important that your child is dropped off and picked up on time.
- The Parent’s Day Out program will operate on the Knox County School schedule for fall break, Thanksgiving, winter break, spring break and inservice days. If Knox County Schools are closed, Little Creations will be closed. If Knox County schools open late, Little Creations will open late, but we will close at our regular time. (Example: If Knox County Schools open 1 hour late, Little Creations will open at 10 a.m. and close at 2:30 p.m.) If Knox County Schools close early, Little Creations will close early also and your child’s teacher will contact you by the phone number listed on sign-in/sign-out sheet to let you know our closing time for that day.
- Throughout the year we invite special guests to spend time in each classroom. In the past, these special guests have included community helpers, Knoxville Zoomobile, etc. We will also have special events which you will receive information about in the monthly newsletters.
- Individual and class pictures will be taken in the spring.
- We do not celebrate Halloween; however, we will have Orange and White Day.
- We will celebrate Valentine’s Day and Christmas with class parties.
- Celebrating birthdays is always fun. Remember to keep it SIMPLE. Please do not send in treat bags or provide pizza for lunch. This helps eliminate confusion and competition. Remember Little Creations is a peanut free program when planning treats for birthday celebrations. All birthday celebrations must be planned in advance with your child’s teacher. If you are planning a birthday party for your child outside of program hours, your child’s teacher may pass out your invitations, but there must be one for every child in the class.
We ask that you send your child to school in comfortable play clothes. We will be doing many hands on activities such as painting and playing outside. Tennis shoes are recommended instead of dress shoes, sandals or boots. Also, please dress your child according to the weather. We will go outside as long as the temperature is 40 degrees and above. Remember to label all coats, sweaters, gloves and hats.
Little Creations is a peanut free program. This means peanuts, peanut butter and any products containing peanuts or peanut butter need to be excluded from your child’s lunch. Please be aware that some “lunchables” contain desserts with peanuts or peanut butter. We will make every effort to ensure that any snacks provided by Little Creations will be peanut free. These snacks will include apple juice and something to eat (crackers, cookies, etc.).
Lunch is provided by the parent. Please send foods that are easy for children to feed to themselves. Foods to stay away from are: hot dogs, popcorn, nuts, seeds, celery, carrots, whole grapes and lots of desserts. Milk will be provided for lunch unless parents pack something different. Please do not send soft drinks. Because refrigerator space is limited, pack a “cold pack” with your child’s lunch. Do not send foods that need to be heated. If you have any questions about an item your child would like to bring in their lunch, please check with your child’s teacher or the Director before sending this food.
Please label all lunch boxes, sippy cups, and food containers.
Please make sure that your child has eaten breakfast before arriving at school.
Infants will be fed formula, milk, juice or water as provided by the parent. Do NOT send glass bottles! All bottles must be labeled with your child’s name and the time it is to be given.
If your child becomes sick at school, we will remove your child from the class and a parent will be contacted to come and pick him/her up.
Please do not send your child to Parent’s Day Out if he/she has a fever, rash, earache, headache, is vomiting or has diarrhea. Your child will not enjoy being here and we should not expose other children to the illness.
Notify the Director should your child have a contagious disease, such as chicken pox, so that other classmates can be notified.
If you must withdraw your child from the program, we ask that you provide us with a two week notice.
For the security of your child, he/she must be signed in and signed out each day. Each classroom will have a daily sign-in/sign-out sheet. Parents are required to sign their child in each morning and sign their child out each afternoon. Any special pick up instructions should be noted when signing your child in. The security and safety of your child is very important to us!
The 30 minute drop off and pick up times at Little Creations are very busy because of the large number of children in our program. In the past we allowed parking under the covered driveway, but we found that due to the large volume of cars using this area it was unsafe for children to walk to the parking lot. We are asking that parents do not park under the covered driveway or in the road between the building and the parking lot. Please always use the spaces in front of the building and remember to watch for others entering and exiting the building.
It is required that each child has an up-to-date immunization record on file. You may obtain an immunization record from your child’s pediatrician or the health department. These records must be turned in to the Director when your child starts the Parent’s Day Out program. A child cannot enter the Parent’s Day Out program without health records.
Should your child need medicine while under our care, it will be administered by the Director or Ministry Assistant. The medication must be in the original container and list the child’s name, doctor’s name, medicine name, the issue date, the dosage and how the medication should be stored. The parent should give the medicine to the Director or Ministry Assistant and fill out a permission form for administering medication.
Emergency cards must be kept on file. A child cannot enter the program without these cards. Accurate and updated information is extremely important. This card will include parent’s name, address, home phone number, work phone number and cell phone number. It will also include the names of people we are allowed to contact in the event you cannot be reached and the names of others authorized to pick up your child. The name of your child’s doctor, hospital preference, insurance information, allergies and any physical conditions should also be listed on the emergency card.
All children in the two, three, four and five year old classes are required to have a mat for rest time. There is a mat fee of $25.00 due at the time of registration. Your child’s mat will follow him/her throughout the program and can be passed down to any siblings.
Rest time goes a little smoother if the child brings a favorite blanket or toy to cuddle with. This blanket or toy will only be brought out during rest time. A crib sheet is required for use on your child’s mat each day. The mat will stay at school with your child’s name on it but the sheet will go home for laundering with your child each day. Remember to label everything you bring from home.
We discourage bringing toys from home with the exception of a blanket or a toy for rest time. Children may bring a book to share with the class during story time.
Corporal punishment will not be used under any circumstances. Positive reinforcement is used in disciplining preschool aged children. If the child goes past the limits of what is permitted, the time-out principles will be used. If a problem persists, the teacher will consult the parent on how to best deal with the situation. The Parent’s Day Out program reserves the right to dismiss the child from the program if the above steps fail.
You will be given a copy of your child’s daily schedule. It will vary for each age group. However, each day will consist of learning centers, music and group activities, crafts or special projects, inside/outside playtime, lunch, rest time, snack, and preparation to go home.
Registration for the next school year will be held in the spring. The registration fee for each child is due at the time of registration. This fee holds your child’s place in the program and is non-refundable.
Monthly fees are due on the first class day of the month. A late fee of $10.00 will be added to the monthly fee after the 10th of the month. Receipts are issued for cash payments only. These receipts will be issued at time of payment at the Front Desk.
The monthly fees for each classroom are as follows:
- Infants - $125.00 per month (one day a week), $205.00 per month (two daysa week)
- Toddlers– $125.00 per month (one day a week), $205.00 per month (two days a week)
- Two year old class - $155.00 per month (two days a week)
- Three year old class -$155.00 per month (two days a week)
- Four year old class - $155.00 per month (two days a week)
- Five year old class - $155.00 per month (two days a week)
Infants need a diaper bag with plenty of disposable diapers, wipes, a complete change of clothes, prepared formula and juice in plastic bottles. Due to health regulations, we cannot feed infants baby food from a previously opened jar.
Toddlers need a diaper bag with plenty of disposable diapers, wipes, a complete change of clothes, a lunchbox with child friendly foods, sipper cup, spoon, and a blanket for rest time.
Twos need a bag with plenty of disposable diapers, wipes, a complete change of clothes, a lunchbox with child friendly foods, sipper cup, spoon, a blanket for rest time and a crib sheet for their mat. If you have an older two that is trying to potty train, please let the teacher know.
Threes, Fours and Fives need a change of clothing, a lunchbox with child friendly foods, a blanket for rest time and a crib sheet for their mat.
Please remember to label everything from home!